If You Keep Doing What You're Doing, You'll Keep Getting What You Got!
This quote or some variation thereof has been attributed to Tony Robbins, Henry Ford and even Jessie Potter, a women’s activist and speaker in Milwaukee. Whoever said it first or whomever said it correctly is really not important. What is important is the idea behind the quote. It is especially critical for the transportation industry.
As we roll full steam into 2017 there is a giant semi in the room (sorry, all out of elephants), specifically the prediction that the trucking industry will have a shortage of roughly 100,000 unfilled seats in the cab this year. Shouldn’t be too far off the mark. In fact, we’re still upside down 70,000 from 2016 and that is with an often sputtering economy. Imagine if things actually started to take off again? Believe what you will but perception is often reality. It doesn’t have to really be a good year but if we think it will be…voila! So with all that growth, where are we going to get the drivers to keep that economic engine moving? New drivers? Millenials? Women? Veterans? The answer is YES.
As transportation employers you’ve got directives to get those seats filled asap. You ask “What is new and exciting that can help me get my jobs filled?” The response is the same ole, same ole. Run a Cost Per Click campaign here, do a Cost per Applicant project with this vendor, basically, throw money at the problem and we’ll see what works. And these things do work, no doubt it about and they are successful at appealing to the 40% of the driver market that are actively seeking new employment and using job boards. What about the other 60%, some 700,000 drivers or more. No one is going after them. Why?
Lets’ look at the root causes of the shortage in the first place. The average age of a driver is 52 years old. In the trucking industry that is approaching retirement if not there already. Appealing to that market segment doesn’t get you much. Forty percent of all drivers are actively looking for a job or about 400-600,000 people. Competition is high, especially for the good ones. Appealing to them on job boards, unless you specialize or are very innovative is pretty tough as you know, hence the shortage. Trouble is, you and every other driver recruiter is going after the same forty percent contributing to the 125% attrition rate in the industry. Another forty percent of all drivers are passive candidates. They'll look at a new job when the dispatcher or their boss makes them angry but for the most part they are not using job boards. Using traditional methods will fill some seats, no doubt about it, but, if you keep doing what you’re doing…
At USroadwarriors.com we tend to lean towards innovation. Sure, our job boards like DriverJobCenter.com offer traditional services and others like Cost Per Hire programs. Pay for Performance initiatives. VeteranDriver.com and GirlsNTrucks.com are boards that focus on the areas of greatest opportunity for new drivers. The big difference, we appeal to both active and passive candidates.
Last month we had more than a million job searches on our job boards and 49 million readers (most of them passive candidates) viewed our articles from USRoadwarriors.com on sites like FoxNews, CNN, ESPN and others. We recently ran a campaign on Road Dog Radio on Sirius XM. In short, if you're looking for market innovators that appeal to both active and passive candidates...we're it.
This month we are offering a Buy 3 Get 3 free program. Buy a quarterly package on DriverJobCenter.com and we'll give you 3 months on Veterandriver.com, DiverseDriver.com and GirlsNTrucks.com for free. Plus an article on your company on USRoadwarriors.com to appeal to those passive candidates (a $995 value). For more information contact Carl@usrw-llc.com .
Make 2017 the year of innovation.
About the author:
Carl Braun is the Publisher and Co-Founder of USRW-LLC dba USRoadwarriors.com- the online magazine for drivers and truckers. USRW owns DriverMarketplace.com, USTruckerjobs.com, VeteranDriver.com, Driverjobcenter.com, GirlsNTrucks.com and DiverseDriver.com. He has been in the job board industry for 21 years and has owned upwards of 60 internet properties over the years focused primarily on niche recruitment advertising in transportation, diversity, veterans and many other categories. Carl focuses on new stuff. What is the industry not doing and where can employers find new and effective tools to improve results.
He is the author of five novels including three military thrillers Two Seconds, Border War and The Merida Compact (on Amazon under the name C. Frederick Braun) as well as the historical thriller ISSA. His writing is featured in the USRW crime series Detective Trucker. He has also written a children’s history book on the role that God played in the creation of our country. He lives in Georgetown, Texas with is wife Sue and their chocolate lab Kayla. Together they have five children and six grandchildren.